With the holidays and cooler temperatures just around the corner, it's the perfect time to get outside, get healthy, and get back in the habit of making smart choices every day. It always feels a bit overwhelming to get back into a healthy lifestyle when I've gotten out of the habit, however I've found that if I focus on improving just 3-5 little areas of my health at a time, it's a little less daunting.
If you're also looking for simple ways to improve your health this Fall and want to borrow some of my current "health pledges", here you are:
1.) Commit to something. Sign up for a race, whether it's your local Turkey Trot or a full marathon, sending in your deposit money and training will keep you motivated. I signed up for Ragnar a few weeks ago and couldn't be more excited (or scared!).
2. Menu plan. If I don't sit down every Monday morning and physically write out a grocery list and menu for the week, you can bet we will be eating takeout every single night. Luckily, there are so many great cookbooks and blogs that keep us from doing that too often.
3. Go outside. It's a lot easier to get moving when you're outside. Whether you go for a morning jog, walk to the park with the kids, bike instead of drive, or go out and do some quick yard work -- just go outside! The vitamin D doesn't hurt, either.
4. Drink up. Aside from the obvious benefits of drinking plenty of water, it also helps keep the snacking and overeating at meal times to a minimum. I like to bring this everywhere I go; it's the perfect size and easy for kids to drink from, too.
5. Quiet time. I can tell if it's been a while since I've gotten some of this. I like to get it in either by going out for a solo walk at night, practicing yoga, or reading -- anything that helps me clear my head and relax.
6. Take advantage of deals. If you're looking for more than just 5 ways to jumpstart your healthy lifestyle, keep an eye out for special offers on health products and services. Be sure to check out Blue365Æ, a national program offered by the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association to members of participating Blue Cross and/or Blue Shield Companies. It's essentially a "Groupon-like" program that promotes healthy living by offering weekly discounts on a wide variety of fitness, health, and travel deals. It's the perfect and most affordable way to try new things and keep you on track. Check out some of their deals here, and read what other bloggers had to say about the program at the Blue365Æ page on BlogHer.com.
Also, BlogHer is providing two (2) $500 Visa gift cards to winners selected from a pool of all participating bloggers. To be entered for a chance to win one of the two gift cards, please tell me:
How are you planning to stay healthy through the Fall and holiday season?
No duplicate comments.
You may receive two (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
a) Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
b) Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: #SweepstakesEntry; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
c) Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
d) For those with no Twitter or blog, read the Official Rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
Entries from all participating blogs will be pooled for winner selection; only two (2) entries per household. This giveaway is open to U.S. residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. You have 72 hours to respond, otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This Blue365Æ Program Sweepstakes runs from 10/16/12-11/12/12.
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association is an association of independent, locally operated Blue Cross and/or Blue Shield Companies. †BlogHer†is an independent and/or separate company providing marketing/promotional services and does not provide Blue Cross and/or Blue Shield products or services.